After spending some time again in France, I found it difficult to switch gears and prepare for my departure to Abidjan. Fortunately everything went smoothly, although the day seemed to drag on forever. I had left for the airport much earlier than necessary, as there had been recent Metro and rail strikes over pension reform, but there were no issues with the bus or the RER [Réseau Express Régional, a hybrid
commuter rail and rapid transit system serving Paris and its suburbs] . The latter is frequently disrupted by strikes, especially the RER line B connecting to the CDG [Charles de Gaulle] and ORY[Orly] airports. My flight was without incident except that the wifi wasn't working. Abidjan is normally an hour behind France in time, but, unlike the latter, doesn't use Daylight Savings Time, which added an extra two hours to my already too long day...
It was dark and pouring rain when I arrived in Abidjan, and the taxi driver wanted to charge about $30 [15,000 Fcfa], for the trip to the SIL Center. I countered $16, and a different driver proposed $20, which I accepted. I decided he must be a Christian, as, while driving, he switched on a local radio station with an annoying sounding preacher. About 40% of of the Ivorian population is nominally Catholic or Evangelical Protestant. When we reached the lagoon toll bridge, the HKB Bridge linking the north and south of Abidjan, the driver in front of us stuck at the toll both claimed he didn't have the requisite $1 to pay the toll and my driver paid it for him. A kind gesture, or maybe he just didn't want to spend the evening waiting there watching how the scenario would play out... When we arrived at the SIL Center I gave my driver a little background on SIL's mission, and offered him an extra $4 for his trouble. I was so relieved that all had gone smoothly...
Upon arrival at the Center, there was an envelope for me with the key to the room along with the wifi password! I was elated because the Center is pretty much closed down over the weekend, and it would have been a long two days with no way of communicating with the outside world. SIL-Abidjan was going to be a different place with all the personnel changes and most of the people I knew were elsewhere. The Sauers, Martin and Silke, were in Germany telecommuting. Cordelia, who had trained Martin for his new position as a translation consultant, was also in Germany. The Heaths had gone back to the US. Laurel had also recently returned to the US, and I was even going to be staying in her apartment. Sharon Nordley, who I had just seen in France the day before leaving, was also telecommuting. She was afraid of putting her French Carte de séjour, and hoped-for 10-year resident visa, in jeopardy by having too many comings and goings... And furthermore, I was really here to meet people and access the changing situation.
A week before I had received a message from my former librarian trainee, Ezéchiel, in Burkina Faso, letting me know that the books I had ordered a year ago from Langham Publishing had arrived ! I had long ago given up on them, thinking they had gone astray and had recently placed a reorder. Too late now. I had him check the packing slip just in case and they were definitely the ones I had requested last March, a year ago.
He sent me recent photos of students from the Joseph Ki-Zerbo University [University of Ouagadougo], doing research in the library on several occasions [below being helped by Pam Morris], so I was encouraged that the work there was going well.

Ezéchiel is responsible for both the library there, and outreach for the organization, which is a good fit for him.
Meanwhile, like I said, I am in Laurel's, and before her, Cornelia's old apartment. It could still use a bit of cleaning as there is some leftover stuff that needs to be gotten rid of, and some of the unnecessary furniture should be removed, but it is comfortable enough and more spacious than one of the places I stayed in at this Center before. There is even a nice view from the living room window.
Late in the morning I heard children's voices and English spoken [although no one visible] so we'll see. This year's adventure begins.


No comments:
Post a Comment