My accommodations in Abidjan are adequate. My first night was spent in a large apartment, shared with an Ivoirienne named Evelyne--the same place as last year only in a different bedroom. I have now moved to my own tiny quarters, which is about the size of my French place. It is clean, and functional, albeit a bit sorry looking... Some bright paint and colorful curtains and bedding might do for a start.. oh well... I did, however, swap the locations of two pictures and the wall-calendar...
![]() |
| [I am nearer the area that says Cocody and not that circled in red] |

My location is really quite an urban setting. The area where the SIL Center is situated is the Cocody section of town, north of the city, and the particular area is known as the Riviéra Golf. There are several contemporary-looking high-rise buildings nearby, although the neighborhood evidences mixed economic levels, and some windows and balconies sport broken furnishings and laundry. While modern automobiles whizz by, there are umbrella stands on street corners where the marginalized poor often sit and attempt and eke out a living selling what they can. A busy highway runs by the SIL Center and I took my life in my hands when I decided to walk to the French Casino grocery store less than a half mile away, but had to cross the road at rush hour. Pedestrian lights exist, but they are apparently invisible to drivers. That morning I waited through 3 light cycles and NOBODY stopped... On Saturday morning, though, I noticed a motorcycle policeman giving out tickets and I felt like cheering...
![]() |
| View from my window |
![]() |
| Here you can see the highway |
![]() |
| Abidjan is usually overcast, humid and lush |





No comments:
Post a Comment