Monday, June 5, 2023

Post-post scriptum

      Well since I left Abdijan, I've been regularly sending articles to Clément on Ivorian languages for him to catalog, and add to the vertical file, or the "classeur" as it is known in French.  I'm using this as a way to keep him familiar with the ResourceMate software. Academia [https://www.academia.edu/] regularly sends me articles based on some algorithm, which makes it easy for me to find articles which may be useful.  Below are examples of publications that carry linguistic articles of interest:

 

 Journal: Revue Akofena

 PDF) Langue et dénomination de la couleur : analyse croisée dans deux  langues du Sénégal, le bayot et le wolof. | Mbacké Diagne - Academia.eduREVUE DU CAMES Littérature, Langues et Linguistique - REVUES DE L'ACAREF

 Cheminements Linguistiques - Aimée-Danielle Lezou Koffi

 

 Ezechiel also keeps me updated on the needs of the SIL Library in Ouagadougou.  I recently authorized the buying of more RAM for the public access catalog computer, because it seems to be running increasingly slower.  I also learned that he will be visiting Bamako in the next few weeks, so I asked that he contact Kathryn Seay, who, as you recall is currently in Abidjan, as to the needs of the library there. Although westerners, like me, may have difficulty traveling to some parts of Africa, Africans themselves often have no problems at all doing so, and I am glad he will be able to check on things for me.







No photo description available.

I also learned a bit of history on the translation of the Godié New Testament from Maggie Gaved, as had I mentioned the dedication ceremony in an earlier post. SIL first started work in the Godié language some 50 years ago, but after a few years the team had to leave the field. It was 20 years before the project could be restarted, and the new team apparently worked for almost 20 years before a national crisis stopped the work again. The final phase of the work began in 2008, culminating in the dedication in April, where there was much celebration and the translation was finally dedicated. The Godié language is spoken by about 50,000 people in south-eastern Côte d'Ivoire.

 

                        The Godié Alphabet


 Godié Latin alphabet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-post scriptum

      Well since I left Abdijan, I've been regularly sending articles to Clément on Ivorian languages for him to catalog, and add to the...