It was after Christmas, and my guardienne, Maria, left the Christmas tree and crèche up for me to take a photo. She goes to elaborate pains every year, and people stop by to gaze in the doorway because it's quite unusual to see something like this in an apartment building. I even let one woman come inside so she could take a better photo.
![]() |
| Rue de Levis |
And it is the season of sales (soldes) so there is much activity in the evenings after work, despite the transportation problems.
And transportation problems there are--serious ones... Because the government is trying to synchronize all the different rules for retirement, the unions are extremely active, and for a month and a half, the country has been partially paralyzed by strikes, particularly transportation strikes. The RER and Metro are, of course, on strike, which is why I took a shared ride from the airport into the city and will do so again when I leave for Abidjan tomorrow morning. I had to walk quite a distance to have lunch with one friend, and had to cancel dinner arrangements with another because we were so far apart, and getting together was just too complicated in the evening when there were few viable options other than walking if you are without a car.
![]() |
![]() |
| my café gourmand |
![]() |
| Room in the Pavillon Monceau |
I was also delighted to find that I had the foresight to leave a few of my African clothes in Paris (as most have been left in storage in Ouagadougou) so I will have something appropriate to wear when in Abidjan. Since it has been so long since my last visit, I have forgotten exactly what I had done, and had planned to pick up a few in Ouaga if I passed through again this time around.
![]() |
| A few titles for Ezéchiel to add to his collection |







No comments:
Post a Comment